Friday, April 14, 2017

Spring 3d tulips

  We have had some beautiful spring weather here in the southwest of England and all the spring flowers look beautiful in the sunshine. They have inspired me to make my own spring tulips using the Paperartsy Tulip die set and matching Paperartsy stamps which are available at The Fruit Pixie online shop and are a bargain at the moment as they are half price!  
 
I made a pot for my tulips on my Silhouette Cameo die cutting machine but a real pot would be even better. My hubby is a very keen gardener so all pots were taken!!
 
The tulips are very easy to make! First I chose my coloured cardstock and found two different shades of each colour. 
 
The stamp set has two different styles of Tulip and each Tulip has three sections. I chose the style that has a outside line to the design. I stamped each stamp in that set three times and then die cut them all out using the corresponding die. You will find it easier if you stamp first and the use a piece of low tack tape (or tape you have de tacked by sticking it to your cloths a couple of times ) to hold the die in the right place before you run it through your machine.  If you don't own a die cutting machine then you can just cut them out by hand but with the dies you get the same shape each time.
 
Fold each layer of Tulip in half from left to right. The tulips are not symmetrical so they won't meet up perfectly but this doesn't really show when the Tulip is finished.
 
Then stick the two layers of each flower on top of each other so the folds are in the same place. For the third layer I only stuck the bottom half down so I could curl it over when my Tulip was finished.
 
You now need to make the stem. This needs to support the Tulip so I used a bamboo skewers. I used some green Washi  tape to cover the skewer and make them more stem like.
 
Now take one of your tulips and stick its petal to the second Tulips petal. Take your stem and stick it on the inside of the Tulip along the line of the petals you glued together. 
 
Then stick the third petal over the top and stick all the petals together giving you a 3d Tulip as in the photo. You might need to use a couple of pegs to hold the petals together while they stick. I used a normal PVA white glue and had not trouble getting them to stick. Once they are dry curl the top petal over as shown on the photo.
 
 
For the leaves I used the same stamp and die as the last layer of the flower but stamped it onto green card. I then stuck it together with the stem in between.
 
The little flag was simply made by cutting a strip of paper into a long thin rectangle, folding it around the wooden support (that came from a pot of hyacinths we bought, it held the variety and price attached to it. It was just the job so I saved it as I liked the shape) I wrote spring in green pen and then stuck it around the little post and tied some garden string to the top. You could use another bamboo skewer for this.
 
To get them all to stand up was a bit of a battle. In the end I used Blutack at the bottom of the pot and pushed the end of my skewers into it. I then scrunched up some old tissue paper to support the skewers and fill the pot. I then could just cover top of the pot with dried moss it give it a realistic look.
 
This is such a nice bright cheerful project which would make a lovely gift or as I have done with mine, something for your own home. They need no light or water so can go anywhere. Mine are in the hall to welcome you home. They are also perfect for anyone who is in hospital too.
 
If you would like to make your own tulips you will need-
 
Paperartsy Tulip stamps 50% off at the mo!
 
http://www.thefruitpixie.co.uk/eclectica3-collection-lin-brown-elb08-23263-p.asp
 
Paperartsy matching die set also 50% off
 
http://www.thefruitpixie.co.uk/paperartsy-die-tulip-1-23274-p.asp
 
Cardstock - 
 
http://www.thefruitpixie.co.uk/coredinations-core-essentials-brights-15533-p.asp
 
Washi tape -
 
http://www.thefruitpixie.co.uk/washi-tape-625-c.asp
 
Have fun making your Tulips and have a very happy Easter!
 
             
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     

No comments: