Monday, October 02, 2017

Craft Consortium Tell the Bees decoupage paper covered box

  Here is my new box I have covered with the beautiful Craft Consortium decoupage papers that I have made for The Fruit Pixie. These are not just normal papers, these are tissue thin but strong enough to be worked with then they are wet. They are very easy to use and very forgiving. I have used these sort of papers before on other projects, I will leave you the links of the other blog posts I have written at the bottom of the page. The papers I have used this time are the Tell the Bees papers.    The box I used I bought from The Works and is a wooden box. I prepared the box before I began by rubbing down the wood with sandpaper and then painting it with white gesso. I painted it white so the pattern and colour of the paper came through more.
The way I work with the decoupage paper is to cut it to size and then apply a runny PVA glue, I water the PVA glue down till it is like single cream, I paint the glue mixture on to the surface and also the back of the paper. Apply the paper to your surface, gently rubbing out the air bubbles if there are any and then paint another layer of the watered down PVA over the top. 
 
Once the box is covered with the decoupage papers and then left to dry. I then painted the sides and edges of the box with Cosmic shimmer paint.
 
 
For inside the box I painted it with Cosmic Shimmer chalk paint in a colour that matched the paper.
 
I wanted to add some interest to the lid of the box and the inside. I had made this box to keep my little bits of hand quilting and sewing in, so I used hexagons cut from the Tell the Bees paper pad. I inked their edges with a brown ink and when I had decided on the pattern I glued them into place. The hexies on the top are 1 inch hexies and the ones inside are 1.5 inch hexies.
 
Before I use the box I will add another layer of the PVA mixture to seal in the paper hexagons as it will get a lot of handling.
 
You can find the Tell the Bees decoupage papers in the Fruit Pixie shop here -
http://www.thefruitpixie.co.uk/craft-consortium-tell-the-bees-collection-715-c.asp
 
Cosmic Shimmer paint-
http://www.thefruitpixie.co.uk/cosmic-shimmer-paints-644-c.asp
 
As I said I have worked with this type of paper before. Here is a post I did a few years ago using another of the Craft Consortium decoupage paper and a different shaped box
http://thefruitpixie.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/craft-consortium-decoupage-paper.html
 
This post is showing my candle holder jars I made with the wood design Craft Consortium decoupage papers -
http://thefruitpixie.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/craft-consortium-candle-jars.html
 
   

No comments: