Friday, November 10, 2017

Remembrance Poppy brooch

 Here in the U.K. it is Remembrance Sunday tomorrow. Every year I buy a poppy, as we all do, and the 5 mins later its fallen off. Over the years I have made myself different types of poppies and then just added my donation to the poppy sellers tin but I have never been 100% happy with them. So this year I tried again and this time I am very happy with them. I made mine out of felt but of course you could make them out of card. This was a project for The Fruit Pixie as she sells wonderful mixed button packs which are perfect for this project. A link to her button packs can be found at the end of this post.  
I used red felt for my poppy petals. The black if also felt, a half inch strip cut with pinking scissors and then gathered into a circle using a running stitch.
Each petal is pleated and then stitched in place. I then sewed the petals to each other. 
The black centre I stitched to the petals.
I finished it off with a button from the monochrome button pack.
Stitch a brooch back onto the back of your poppy to finish.
 
You can find the button packs here -
There are lots of different colour themed packs to choose from that contain black buttons. It would also be a lovely if you had a button from your family button box to use too.
 
Brooch backs here -
 
I hope you like my poppies. 
 
If you are wondering why three poppies, well one for me, one for my sister and one for my Godmother who admired my poppy last year but by then it was too late to send one to her so I sent one this year instead.
                                                  Have a reflective and peaceful Remembrance day.                                                                                                    

No comments: