Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Ring binder transformation

I am one of the Creative crew for Tangi Baxter's Art Journal Emporium. https://shoptangiebaxter.com/  This year the way we work has changed slightly, each week Tangie Baxter creates worksheets for us to work on or think about, so gaining inspiration for our Art Journaling pages.  One of the challenges was to create a cover for our books or folders, depending on how we had chosen to store them. I had decided to use a ring binder and my dear hubby had found an old one for me to store them in. Trouble was it was a boring black plastic covered folder with a plastic pocket on the front, you know,the ones.  At first I though I would just make an A4 art piece to put in the pocket on the front, I didn't want to do too much to it. Later I changed my mind and thought I would just remove the pocket and just leave the black plastic, after all I didn't want to take too much time on it.  In the end I decided to take it all apart. I took the black plastic off compleatly, which then left separate bits of folder. I then had to put it all back together again using just the grey board pieces which were inside the black plastic. So much for not taking too much time on it!!!  I was then left with a blank binder. First I covered it with cheap watercolour paper so I had a nice surface to paint on.   Next I then got my Geli plate out and used it to paint the first few layers, building up the pattern using texture sheets I had made to imprint a pattern. Then I used lots of stencils to build up a finished look for my covers. Here is how it turned out.
For the front I used a Crafters Workshop small stencils for the flowers which I sponged through orange and pink acrylic paint. Later I added white paint pen circles and details
 
I used blue and orange on the background and was not too worried about the white paper showing through. This happened because of the texture on the paper.
 
The back I just left with the Geli prints, just filling in any spots I thought needed with some more paint.
 
For the spine of the folder I used another Crafters workshop stencil and once dry I used an orange paint pen to outline the arrows. I also added some lines and smudges using a credit card dipped in paint.
 

For the inside I began by painting it all orange. I then used a 12x12 stencil by Crafters Workshop for my stars. I love this stencil, it always looks stunning. This time I sponged through a lilac blue paint and then drew around the stars with a white paint pen. It looked a bit too clean and crisp so I added some smudges and lines to dirty it up.

 

 
 
 

To decorate the inside of the spine I used part of another Crafters Workshop stencil. I then used a paint pen to out line it and added smudges and lines to dirty it up.

 

Then finally the back inside cover. I used another of my favourite Crafter Workshop stencil. Outlined in white paint pen and lots of smudges and lines to dirty it up again.

 

 
I really enjoyed doing this and I am so glad I did take some time over it. I sealed it once it was dry to protect it as it will get a lot of use.

I must admit I am really pleased with the finished look, not colours I would normally choose but I love then together. Hope you like them too.

 

No comments: